The seeds are pungent, aromatic, appetizer, diuretic, thermogenic, carminative, anodyne digestive, constipating and purgative, which make it the most blessed seed for medical uses. Traditionally, it is used for treating several diseases. It is also used in food processing in food industry.
Nigella Sativa can be used for cooking and also for medical purposes. Nigella Sativa helps in reducing inflammation in some individuals. These seeds are known for its remarkable healing powers, it has been used for centuries all over the world to treat many diseases, including toothache, asthma, diarrhea and many others.
Nigella Sativa is cultivated in the subtropical belt extending from Morocco to northern Indian and Bangladesh, Africa and in the former Soviet Union. In Europe, North America, and Southern Asia, it is cultivated on a very minor scale for medical purposes. It can grow under a wide range of temperature from 5-25°C, the optimum being about 14°C and it can be grown in most kind of soils on favorable temperatures.
- Half teaspoonful, if boiled in water and taken, is helpful in Asthma and diffuses the toxic effects of Bee and Wasps.
- If Kalonji seeds are boiled in vinegar and this solution is applied on Gums and Teeth, it removes the inflammation of the gums and relieves the pain also.
- Nigella Sativa helps to expel kidney and urinary bladder stones.
- It is used to treat many skin diseases.
- It is useful in Paralysis, Facial Palsy, Migraine, Amnesia and Palpitation.